Either you have registered to work with me in an independent study or you are thinking of doing so. You and I will work together to design your learning contract. In order to do that, you and I will need to have a conversation. By the first week of your study, you and I will decide
- the goals of your study
- Why do you want to engage in this study?
- Do you have a degree program? If so, please send it to me!
- What role does this study serve in your degree?
- What is it that you expect to learn in this study?
- Are there specific questions that you have?
- Are there issues that you want to examine?
- the different activities you will be expected to carry out
- What do you already know about this topic or related topics?
- What have you studied in this general area?
- What kinds of learning activities do you expect to do?
- A website?
- A project of some kind?
- Something else?
- how you will be evaluated
- how and when you and I will communicate
- a study time-line
In effect, we will clarify your responsibilities and my responsibilities.
You can respond to some of these questions via e-mail or we can set up a time to talk on the phone or face-to-face. The major goal is for us to begin to communicate with one another in order to build this learning contract together.
I’m looking forward to working with you,